Monday, January 22, 2007

It pays to experiment

Last time I combined a couple of crafts - by crocheting a purse out of strips of quilting fabric - the results were distinctly underwhelming. So I wasn't expecting much last weekend when I had the urge to experiment once again.

This time, I loved the results!

A pink floral yo-yo with a pearl button in the middle really jazzes up this little baby hat knit out of white Caron Simply Soft. I'd like to try a toddler-sized hat, too, with a cluster of three smaller yo-yos. (Here's a good tutorial for making yo-yos, by the way.)



And for my next trick...some leftover flannel from making receiving blankets was just right for a wide binding around this thick stockinette-stitch blanket. Plus, stitching and trimming the knitted fabric helped make me think I really could try steeking without breaking out in a nervous rash.

Experimentation - where would we be without it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED the idea of sewing the flannel to the knitted blanket. Next time I knit a blanket I'm going to do this. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the idea of sewing a binding onto a knit blanket. I have one here that has real wavy edges and I just couldn't fix it, so here it sits. This may just do the trick!
Steeking looks scary :)

Tracy Batchelder said...

Both are great ideas! I really like the fabric trimmed blanket. I've used fabric on the back of a knitted blanket before. It's a good way to hide the obvious wrong side of certain stitch patterns and keeps little fingers and toes from getting caught in the stitches.

Joe said...

I'm glad Thomas Edison didn't mind experimenting....

Anonymous said...

I loooove the hat! The hat is actually great, and with the yo-yo/button embellishment it's fantastic. Again, love it. :)