Saturday, September 08, 2007

Going table runner crazy

At my workplace, we're coming up on our third annual silent auction to benefit United Way. It's always a fun event, ending with a real frenzy of last-minute bidding as the auction draws to a close at the end of day. Everyone pitches in and contributes items for the auction tables - from sports tickets and golf games to jewelry, baked goods and handcrafts.

Last year I made purses and more purses, and they brought in a respectable sum for United Way. The real bidding wars, though, seemed to arise over the quilted table runners, especially one in Christmas reds and greens. So I decided to make more seasonal table runners this year.

Here are a few that I've pieced, but are still in various stages of being quilted and bound.


If you've picked up the Fall 2007 issue of BHG's "Quilts and More," you'll find the pattern for these Tumbling Leaves. They show it as a wall hanging - but I really like its look on the table.


Some vintage-looking Halloween prints came together nicely for this one.


Here's a Christmas one.



And this one's not seasonal, but I ran across the blocks last weekend in my sewing room. I bet it's been at least three years since I've pieced them. It was easy to toss them together and add a couple of borders for another easy table runner.

I'll be quilting a couple of these myself, and a few others are with the long-arm quilter for a nice, professional look. I can't wait to get them back and finish them up with the binding - my favorite part!

6 comments:

Angelika said...

You go girl. These table runners are great. Makes me want to dust off my sewing machine and pull out my fabric, but I have sooo much knitting waiting for me.

kate said...

Oh my goodness, those table runners are stunning! My favorite is the one with the leaves. Now I feel antsy to sew quilt projects. No time, no time!

Tracy Batchelder said...

These are really pretty! I think they'll do well at the auction.

Anonymous said...

Great work on all the nice table runners!

Karen said...

You might note that white dishes are very fashionable now (even Martha Stewart has a new collection). These colorful runners would be make a wonderful accent to any dining table with white dishes. For the autumn leaves, I guess you'd better serve sweet potatoes for total color coordination!!

Nice work, my sister!!

Dream Mom said...

What beautiful work! I've always loved quilts and purchase quilted table runners too.