Monday, September 08, 2008

A batch of aprons

I had such a great time in my sewing room over the weekend! I was looking for a couple of additional quick projects to complete for the United Way silent auction at work next week. I realized I still had a number of thrift store shirts on hand, originally scooped up to make another batch of little girls' dresses. Instead, it occurred to me, why not see how they'd transform into colorful aprons?

Some good-natured co-workers agreed to model them for me today.



It was so much fun to see how many of the original shirt details I could turn into apron features. For the sassy little pink plaid number, modeled here by the lovely Sarah, I sliced the shirt horizontally right below the arms, leaving the button and buttonhole plackets in place along the side edges – and the curved shirttail instantly became a gently scalloped hem.

For the yellow Hawaiian print modeled by Kathy, I used just the back of the shirt for the main apron, then sliced out the only piece of the front that wasn’t marred by old barbecue stains to create a deep buttoned pocket. It doesn't seem to show up well in the photo.



Next up, another tropical print. The front button placket became the waistband, and I couldn’t resist actually using the buttons for something – so I repurposed one of the cuffs for a button-on loop for an appliquéd dishtowel.



The bib apron above in a standard windowpane plaid seemed boxy and frumpy up top until I re-did the seam to make a sweetheart neckline – it added the right touch of femininity (even though it's a tad big on Kathy, but she's model-slim.) I felt better yet about the results when Sarah and Kathy were enthusiastic about them, too.


Besides the four aprons made from old cotton shirts, I made one more apron out of a vintage tablecloth and a little rick-rack and grosgrain ribbon. I didn’t think I’d throw this into the silent auction donation, as it seemed to cross the line from cute and whimsical into the dangerous kitschy-and-approaching-dorky zone. But when Sarah obligingly tried it on, she looked so cute in it that I may reconsider. What do you think?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great idea! Thanks for passing it on! Your blog is fantastic - thanks for sharing it with me.

Anonymous said...

I actually like the last one the best. I love the rough egdge bottom.


(Thanks for the happy anniversary comment! :-) Glad you stopped by my blog)

SewDelish said...

Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. I am off for a wander here now.

Love the aprons and the little girl's dress. I might just be getting busy with some of those this week!

Anonymous said...

All of them are cute! Definitely use the last one too!

Thimbleanna said...

What a clever girl you are! Those aprons are awesome. And you're right -- one of those cookie writers would be perfect tucked into the pocket.

On another note -- please send your talkytalky painter my way -- I'm sure he'd have lots to say about our roof LOL!

Anonymous said...

Those are definitely cute!!

Jenny said...

Anne - thanks so much for stopping by for a visit on my blog! It's so nice to have visitors, as I am such a newbie to this world! And, what a gift it's been to see your work! I am in love with aprons, all kinds! They make me feel like I know what I'm doing in the kitchen ... you know, like June Cleaver, but without the pearls and stockings! You have inspired me to maybe make one for Christmas baking this year ... hummm... Thanks so much for sharing - they are all just too darn cute!

Nano said...

I love all of your aprons. Very clever use of thrift store items. Of course, I love aprons anyway and they're on my list to make for holiday gifts.

Also, the red chevron scarf you asked about is feather and fan.

Jen said...

Love ALL the aprons, and so will the buyers. Your use of thrift store finds is beyond clever. Jen

Anonymous said...

I was looking for an apron pattern that resembled the old fashioned, lipstick wearing, ones... I think your site has one just for me! Nice to see you visited my site and now I am taking a look at yours. Seems like a fit!

Jessica said...

I love those aprons! The last one reminds me of an apron my Grammie used to have!

Susannah said...

I love the rick rack on the last one...nice and retro...
Susannah x

Dream Mom said...

How pretty! I wish I could sew. I am also beginning to think that aprons were quite a great idea (now that I am cooking more).

You are very creative. Keep up the sewing and the blog.

LJabin said...

OMgoodness, I can hardly stand how much I love these. I am definately making a trip to goodwill today. thanks so much for posting.

www.salamanca-3d.com said...

For my part everybody ought to glance at this.