Tuesday, May 27, 2008

From tablecloth to summer skirt


Nothing says "summer" like a cool cotton skirt, and here's one I plan to enjoy a lot over the next few months.

It started as a circular muslin tablecloth that I picked up at the thrift shop for all of a dollar. It came complete with a crocheted edging and it really called out to be made into a summer skirt.

Inspired once again by those clever gals over at Wardrobe Refashion, I cut a wide arc out of the circle, then cut the bottom off of an old white T-shirt to add a stretchy yoke. A couple of seams and two button holes on the yoke later, the thing was ready for trip through the washer with some Rit dye. I love the soft apricot color that resulted - it's just exactly what I wanted. A ribbon tie through the yoke finished the whole thing off.

It's already proven its worth as fun, comfy weekend wear. Do I love the skirt because it's great, or just because I got it for pocket change? Matters not to me!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh so fun!!

You have a great little blog here. I will stop by often!

Thanks for you kind comments on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Both are good reasons to love the skirt. Very cute. And I love those shoes too. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's totally cute!!

Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love this skirt. I think I'm going to have to rummage around here. I'm sure (unless I donated it) that there's a round tablecloth somewhere. I spent a bit of time reading other posts and I love, love, love, that bullseye quilt. Might be just the thing for me since I can never seem to come up with perfection in my quilting. And to think that sometimes it could be ok! Mind boggling and fun!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Very creative!