Monday, December 11, 2006

A little color, a lot of punch

For some reason I tend to hang onto tiny little balls of yarn. I mean, the size of a golf ball. Just left-over odds and ends. It's ridiculous. I have a grocery bag of them and I've been adding to it for years. Lately, I've been meaning to throw the whole thing out.

But yesterday I actually discovered a use for them.

I was knitting a child's cap on standard off-white yarn and suddenly decided to give it more of a ski-cap sort of look by adding a little color. I've never done much multi-color knitting, but alternating every other stitch didn't seem too intimidating, and the little balls of leftover yarn were all I needed. And before I knew it, I had this:



There was just enough yarn left over to make the pom-poms for the corners of this little jester hat. The idea came from a preemie-sized hat in Knitting for Peace, but I sized this one up to fit a four- or five-year-old. I have to say, it's the best use of tiny amounts of scrap yarn that I've found in a long time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Great use of leftover yarn!

Joe said...

Oh, and mom would be so proud...using up those little bits and pieces. "You just never know when they might come in handy!!" I can hear her say.

Cute cap!!!

Jeannette said...

Reminds me of when I got rid of my first leftover stash. I was always sorry I donated all that yarn. I'm sure the crafter was glad to get it. He made afghans for nursing homes.
I think I have lots more than a bagful now.

I guess you learn as you grow. Pretty variation on the hat. :)